There are many different ways to make lion’s mane mushroom extract, and each method has its own benefits and drawbacks. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most popular methods for making lion’s mane mushroom extract.
Triterpenes are one of the Lion’s Mane’s neuroprotective components.
These triterpenes aren’t extracted from the mushroom by hot water, as are the other components of Lion’s Mane. Tri terpenes must be extracted via soaking in alcohol. Commercial Lion’s Mane solutions are often produced via a combination of hot water and alcohol techniques known as dual-extract.
The combination extract method combines the advantages of both components of the mushroom. The good news is that a double-extract may be produced at home with only basic equipment and a little sweat.
You wanted to know, now here’s how do you make lion’s mane mushroom extract
Because the finished product here contains alcohol, it may not be appropriate for everyone even if only taken in little amounts.
- Serving: Varies, about 750 milliliters (25 ounces)
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 3 hours for hot water part, 2 weeks for the alcohol part
- 3.5 ounces Lion’s Mane mushrooms
- 17 ounces water
- 17 ounces grain vodka
For the greatest extraction, the Lion’s Mane should be broken down into tiny pieces. The fine side of a knife is ideal for grating the lions mane. You may also use a coffee or spice grinder to finely mince the lions mane, but small pieces should be fine.
- Hot water
- Stovetop or other heating surfaces
- Coffee filter, fine sieve, or cheesecloth
- 17 ounce jar with lid
- Funnel (optional, but helpful)
- Dark bottle for storage
The size and kind of filter you’ll need depends on the mushroom pieces’ size. It should be fine enough to keep all of the components out of the finished product.
Hot Water Extraction (part 1)
- Pour the water into the pan and bring to a low simmer.
- Remove the lid and add the Lion’s Mane. Allow it to simmer for three hours.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Strain the liquid (keep the mushroom pieces) and put it in a dark bottle. Refrigerate.
Alcohol Extraction (part 2)
- Take the mushroom pieces you extracted from the hot water and store them in a jar.
- Fill the jar to the top with alcohol (or as much as it can hold).
- Allow it to rest for two weeks in a warm, dark location.
After waiting two weeks:
- Pour the water extract from the black bottle (water extract) into a pan.
- Fill the pan with water and strain the alcohol extract from the jar into it.
- Pour the contents of the bottle back in, or into several bottles, and chill them.
If the mixture becomes too concentrated, you may be tempted to boil it down, but if the dual-extract gets too alcoholic in concentration, it can harm the polysaccharides you spent so much time pumping out of the water.
It’s suggested to take a teaspoon of the dual-extract before meals every day for up to 3 months then taking a 2-week break.