Mushroom Supplement Benefits: Immunity, Brain Function, and More
Mushroom supplements are hitting the world by storm. Most people have no idea that there are so many amazing fungi packed full of nutrients, anti-oxidants, and beneficial compounds. If you’re looking to learn more about mushroom supplement benefits, as well as a few recommendations on our favorite ones you should try, continue reading!
What Are The Benefits of Mushroom Supplements?
Mushroom supplements have almost too many health benefits to list. Here are some of the top mushroom supplement benefits that I wanted to mention:
1. Strengthening the Immune System: Almost all functional mushrooms share this trait. Due to their high anti-oxidant content, alongside the compound called beta-glucan, mushroom supplements stimulate and boost the immune system keeping you healthy and protected.
2. Improving Digestion: mushroom supplements improve digestion by providing your body with enzymes that can help break down and digest key nutrients that your body needs.
3. Reducing Inflammation: giving you compounds like ergothioneine and glutathione, mushroom supplements provide you with anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Enhancing Brain Function: mushroom supplements provide you with compounds like hericystin and erinacine that have been shown to improve cognitive function.
5. Boosting Energy Levels: By giving you compounds like riboflavin and niacin, functional mushroom supplements help support healthy energy levels.
6. Reducing stress levels: last but not least, mushroom supplement are know as adaptogens, which are famous for their ability to help people cope with environmental stressors.
Learn more: What are the 4 types of mushrooms
It’s incredible the amount of health benefits you can get from these functional mushrooms. We’ve put together a list of a few of our favorite brands that offer the highest quality mushrooms you can find on the market today.
Medicinal Mushroom Supplement Benefits Chart
|Maitake Mushroom||Maitake can aid in weight reduction and proper blood sugar levels.|
|Shiitake Mushroom||Shiitake mushrooms benefit the liver, cardiovascular system, immune system, and have a variety of skin-health advantages.|
|Turkey Tail Mushroom||The natural response to inflammation is aided by the Japanese dragon's tail, which aids in the body's natural reaction to inflammation and immune health.|
|Chaga Mushroom||Chaga's beta-glucans are particularly high in immunostimulant properties, and they've been used to boost skin, hair, and nail health.|
|Cordyceps Mushroom||Supports breathing, oxygen delivery, and ATP production.|
|Reishi Mushroom||Reishi is a natural adaptogen that helps to support mental and physical stress.|
|Lion's Mane Mushroom||A lion's mane supports memory and brain function by encouraging the formation of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), a protein that promotes nerve cell growth and maintenance.|
The reishi fungus is one of the most popular medicinal mushrooms, and for good reason. Reishi may help people lose weight, maintain an active immune system, and even fight cancer cells.
The most distinctive thing about this fungus is its soothing qualities – all of which are owing to the chemical triterpene, which reishi also has in abundance. These mood-elevating chemicals may help to reduce anxiety, alleviate depression, and promote better sleep in mice. Triterpenes’ neuroprotective properties don’t stop there, either. Reishi can also help with healing and enhanced attention span.
Learn more: Benefits of Mushrooms
Have you been suffering from a bout of brain fog? Lion’s mane may help with cognitive clarity. Antioxidants abound in this feathery “pom-pom” mushroom, which helps to strengthen the immune system like most medicinal mushrooms do. Lion’s mane, on the other hand, is uncommon since it promotes the formation of bioprotein nerve growth factor (NFG) and myelin (an insulation around nerve fibers).
Both NFG and myelin are critical to brain health. An imbalance of them may cause neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis. Lion’s mane is a concentrated source of brain-boosting nutrients! This amazing fungus has also been found to enhance memory in mice, concentration, and reduce anxiety and irritability in a modest human trial.
Are Mushroom Supplements Safe To Take?
Mushroom supplements are incredibly safe to take. In fact, you can reap the benefits of mushroom supplements from the mushrooms that you find at your local grocery store.
How Long Does It Take For Mushrooms Supplements To Work?
Keep in mind that the benefits of medicinal mushrooms take time. If you’re sensitive to your body, you may notice some immediate affects, but the majority of the benefits take at least two weeks to notice, and will continue to increase over time. It’s also always a good idea to take a week off every 4 to 6 months so that you’re body can reset, allowing you to experience the benefits of mushroom supplements more powerfully.
The Best Mushroom Supplement for Depression