Reishi mushrooms are safe for most people to consume, but can reishi mushrooms make you sick? There are a few potential side effects to be aware of. Some people may experience an upset stomach, diarrhea, or dry mouth after consuming Reishi mushrooms. If you have a mushroom allergy, you should avoid eating Reishi mushrooms. Additionally, pregnant women and young children should consult a health professional before taking any type of reishi mushroom powder or supplement.
We do need to preface that everything we mentioned above is incredibly rare and reishi is safe for most people. It’s always worth taking small doses of any new supplement you are taking for the first time to see how it affects you before taking full doses.
Can Reishi mushrooms cause headaches?
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that Reishi mushrooms can cause headaches. However, some people may experience headache as a side effect of consuming Reishi mushrooms. If you experience headaches after consuming Reishi mushrooms, it is recommended that you consult a health professional. Additionally, be sure to drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest to help reduce your chance of headaches.
Can Reishi mushrooms cause liver damage?
You should always talk to a healthcare expert before adding any treatments or supplements to your life, but I’ll go through it all again here so that you’re not completely in the dark.
Why shouldn’t we all take reishi if it’s natural, safe, and beneficial to the immune system?
It is worth noting that many individuals respond to drugs differently. To establish a secure dosing regimen and treatment strategy, you should consult with a health care provider.
There are several negative effects associated with reishi mushrooms, including dryness of the mouth and an increased risk of bleeding. If you have a propensity for nosebleeds or bloody feces, you should avoid this fungus.
Reishi mushrooms can be toxic to the liver, especially in powdered form. Although you’d have to take recklessly high doses of reishi on a daily basis to even come close to doses that could cause any liver issues.
Cancer patients should also not take reishi mushroom if:
- You’re going through chemo treatment. Reishi mushrooms lower the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
- You’re taking immunosuppressants. Reishi’s immune builders counteract this!
- You’re on blood thinners. Reishi makes you more likely to hemorrhage.
- You’re on cytochrome P450 2E1, 1A2, and 3A substrates. The side effects of these medications are exacerbated by reishi.
Finally, supplements may have various interactions with each other and your prescription drugs. Even with natural supplements and extracts, you might inadvertently create issues rather than cure or prevent disease if you’re not cautious.
It’s tough for your doctor and pharmacist to predict how plant extracts may interact with other treatments or supplements.
In fact, it’s not unusual to come across supplements and plant extracts that cause extra symptoms rather than providing relief. Remember that before you start drinking reishi mushroom tea!